Are you interested in applying your knowledge in a real-world work environment?
Each year IRD welcomes local and international students for the laboratory internship programme which encourages students to pursue molecular biology and genetics careers by providing research experiences at the IRD Genetics laboratory. Selected students will have the opportunity to participate in research studies, under the guidance of laboratory staff Scientists, supporting the IRD mission.
- To promote students in developing novel research ideas in the field of biotechnology/biomedical sciences
- To build student’s capacity via providing support for building skills through hands-on experiences in;
- Research proposal writing skills, protocols & Standard Operating Procedures development and optimisation
- Grant proposal writing skills, budgeting, resource management and finance management skills
- Manuscript writing skills and presentation skills
- Research based documentation, and log-keeping
- Analytical skills to interpret data generated by molecular biology and biomedical research
- To enhance hands-on technical skills in molecular biology; DNA/RNA extraction (blood/plant/animal tissues), Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Agarose Gel electrophoresis, DNA sequence analysis & Bioinformatics via working with laboratory on-going research projects alongside laboratory researchers
- To provide opportunity to enhance soft-skills in research/academics; cover letter and CV writing, interview skills, through workshops and seminar sessions
- To provide an opportunity to seek, identify and develop an appropriate level of professionalism and to improve communication skills, and teamwork
Fees & exemptions
We believe in making IRD education and training affordable for all qualified applicants. We wish to support students to build a solid foundation in their early career by providing affordable training in our state of the art laboratory facility, regardless of their financial circumstances.
Therefore, we have made this internship programme totally free for the undergraduate students from the state universities who wish to gain academic credits in order to complete their degree programme.
Private and international university undergraduate students who seek for internship placements as a fulfilment of their degree programme (to gain academic credits) and any interested graduate who wish to gain research experience will be required to make a reasonable payment for the laboratory training.
Duration Fees (LKR)
06-12 weeks 35,000 fee + 5,000 refundable deposit
14-20 weeks 40,000 fee + 5,000 refundable deposit
22-24 weeks 45,000 fee + 5,000 refundable deposit